Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How Low Can You Go?

OK, hands up everybody who still thinks this team is better without Jason "No-Look" Spezza, Alexi "Enigmatic" Kovalev, or Pascal "Mr. Glass" Leclaire. Right, you lot can go sit in the hall; your coloring books and crayons will be sent out shortly.

I only watched period 2 last night, before the wife's PVR settings put the game out of my misery. But what I saw was a combination of bad luck and worse play. Bad luck in the bounces -- several times on the same play -- that led to the third goal. Bad luck in Alfredsson beating Thomas twice to ring a puck of the goal post. Bad luck in a goal going off of Gonchar's skate.

Bad play... well almost everyone else.

It was brutal.

So I was thinking: if you are a GM with a bad team, and can't make a trade, what does the result look like? I'm thinking it would look an awful lot like this team. I mean, what else can you do? Waive everybody and then gut your AHL organization? I don't think so.

I think that the test is really going to be what happens before the deadline next month. I think that Clouston will get let go at that point, even though this mess isn't his fault at all.

Lets sit back and enjoy the ride -- because I don't think we've bottomed out here yet, no sir.