Friday, January 22, 2010

St.Louis at Ottawa: At The Game

About once a year I actually get out to a game. This is mostly because the time needed to go to a game is usually needed for family duties; having a young family will do that to you. There's also the considerable amount of money required to take in a game. Once or twice a year the stars align and I can make it out.

My philosophy regarding hockey games is: if you only go once or twice a year, get good tickets. If you only go, make sure you get to see something that you can't experience on TV. So I'm not interested in sitting up in the nose-bleeds, I can see more on TV plus have the convenience of the PVR's instant-replay. I have been up in the fourth-tier party rooms, and that's totally different.

So when I do go, I'll pay for the good seats. For example, last year at the Buffalo game, I was in the home end corner two rows up from the glass.

This year one of Jenn's friends was selling a pair of tickets to the St. Louis game last night. Section 114, row O. So higher than the glass, which made for a good view.

It seems tradition for me to miss the opening five or ten minutes of the game. It was about 7:15 by the time we drove up, and there was an almost complete lack of traffic waiting to park. The lack of people getting in late indicated to me that it was going to be another lightly-attended game, and I was right -- announced attendance was a bit over 16000.

When we got in, Carkner was having his tilt with Janssen, so I didn't see what provoked that. The rest of the game had the usual pushing and shoving, but that was it as far as the fighting went. Which was just fine with me.

The game. Through the first two periods, Ottawa had more jump than the Blues did. Most of the play seemed to happen in the St. Louis end. I read that St. Louis played the previous night, and you could see that they were tired. Ottawa kept the pressure on really well.

The only time the flow swung against the Senators was when they gave up almost three goals in less than two minutes. In the dying seconds of the second, St. Louis banged one in, then put the puck in the net a second time as the period ended. Only the video review showed that the horn had gone before the puck crossed the line. St. Louis came out strong in the third, and before 30 seconds had gone by had put a third puck in the net to tie the game.

For the next five minutes it was all St. Louis as you could see they knew they were back in the game. Ottawa hung tough with Elliot standing tall, and St Louis' effort eventually fizzled somewhat. This let the game open up into more of an end-to-end.

Watching in the arena let you appreciate some of the players a bit more. Having watched Karlsson over a couple of shifts, I see more of what other people see in him. He seems to be trying to do the right things at the right time, and with better defensive awareness from his forwards, some of his efforts should pay off. His stint in the AHL earlier this year showed that he can adapt to the North American game, and now he just needs NHL experience.

Another player I appreciated more was Kovalev. Most of the time he seems to be just floating through the game, not really rushing around like some of the younger guys. But more often than not, when there was a puck about to come loose, Kovalev would be in the right place at the right time to pick it up. And his puck possession skills are magnificent to watch. He almost seems to be putting on a clinic with his ability to skate around, under, or through the opposition players.

It was nice to see Michalek back in the lineup and for him to score a "welcome back" goal. He seemed a bit off his game, but there was one nice rush down the left in the second, even if it didn't pay off.

Finally I have to mention that Alfredsson's play is just as inspiring in person as it is on the TV. During one of the power plays Ottawa was awarded, Alfredsson was on for nearly the entire powerplay, even as the other attackers were changed around him. He puts in the effort, and the team is visibly better with him on the ice.

The officiating, in general, was its usual inconsistent style; early on it seemed like the penalties were being handed to the Blues a lot more than the Senators. In the third the pendulum seemed to swing back with Ottawa getting called on some iffy calls. However Ottawa got another too many men penalty, nullifying a potential power play. Overall the play was pretty clean from both sides, and there were not any hugely offensive missed calls.

So overall I call that a successful outing. I got to the game, I saw a game I enjoyed, and the Senators won.

I may have a line on a good seat for the upcoming Toronto game. Toronto is one thing on my "list of things to do" -- I want to go to a Toronto game. However with the premium that Toronto games usually commanded, I didn't think it would happen for a long time. But it just might come good this year.