Friday, February 27, 2009

Ottawa 1, Brian Lee -2

Sometimes these things happen -- a stupid call leads to a even stupider reaction given in the heat of the moment, which leads to an opportunity for the opposition. And when that opposition is the San Jose Sharks, you know they will be all over it. Brian Lee may be a bit of a hot-head, but he's playing an otherwise solid and dependable game, and I think that this kind of incident should be a rare event once his playing history is all said and done.

Regarding the game overall, I did watch the last period on TV, and I liked what I saw. This is back to one of Clouston's first games as a coach, where even though the team lost there is a lot to like. The Senators kept the class of the Western conference from running away with the game, even if the Sharks didn't have to work very hard to stay ahead.

And man, did I like Jason Spezza's clinic in puck handling as he undressed the Sharks' defenders on several plays. Other pundits then take Spezza to task for not shooting the puck while in position, but in my opinion it is better to try to generate a chance somewhere else than to definitely toss the puck away into a goalie who is right there ready for you. It didn't pay off this time, but the vast majority of plays won't either, and I'm not going to fault the choice he made. Overall though Spezza did have a number of shots, a number of attempted shots that got deflected on the way, and generated several opportunities. If management can keep him motivated and focused, the results will come.

So next up is the Leafs on Saturday. I have to sadly nod my head in agreement with The Senate Committee:
I remeber a time when those four words were not an invitation to laughter, ridicule, and poorly thought out one-liners... Sigh.
Stand by for the stands chanting We're not the worst! We're not the worst! Given the Leaf's fans' desire for road trips, it could be either fanbase chanting that at game end...